schroth method - any details please?

Here you can ask and talk (in English or German) about scoliosis treatment in Germany.
Antworten
caros

schroth method - any details please?

Beitrag von caros »

Hello. This is my first time on this website - I hope you can help me.

I am 37 with a cobb angle of 30 degrees. Here in England there seems to be very little to help me so I am reseaching a way forward as I am in considerable pain with my back. I have been reading up on the Schroth method and it does seem to be a possibility for me. I know that there is a clinic recently opened in the Uk but there do seem to be some doubts about it. From my reading it would seem that Germany is the place to be!
So, please could anyone give me any information about the course of treatment. How long does it take (the UK one is 4 weeks or 2x2 weeks), how much does it cost, is there accomodation - and for families - I have a 2yr old boy. And anything else - for example are there any personal experiences out there?

Thanks for your time!
tesia

Beitrag von tesia »

Hello caros,

I would also recommend you go to Germany and avoid the UK clinic like the plague. Im not surprised you have heard doubts about it. My 16 year old daughter did a course of therapy there and hated it, she had a truly miserable experience and felt bullied by the staff. It turns out that her curve has increased even in the few months since she went there, even though she did the exercises carefully every day. She has kept in touch with other people she met at the clinic and they are all unhappy with the results too. We are now looking at taking her to the German clinic though my daughters surgeon is putting her in a brace, with her curve increasing we cant afford to mess about.

Good luck with your treatment, I hope you find something to help you.
BZebra
Profi
Profi

Beitrag von BZebra »

The Schroth method alone can only prevent progression in very small curves or within patients who are nearly fully grown.

Young children with a curve of nearly 20 degrees should already be additionally treated with a brace to be worn during nighttime. Over 20 degrees you have to wear a brace between 18 and 23 hours a day, otherwise the curve will progress despite doing your Schroth exercises.
Only older teenagers, depending on how mature they are, might not need a brace up until 25 to 30 degrees.

There might of course be a difference between the clinic in the UK and the Schroth clinic in Germany, because many of the trainers in Germany have been working at this clinic for over 10 or 20 years. It is natural that they have more experience and this is also the place were the method was originally developed.

It is also not likely that you will get bullied in the German clinic, because they speak very little English, which, I guess, would be crucial for this purpose! ;) Well, but there will of course be some other communication problems, unless you understand some German!

Concerning a brace, the rules mentioned above apply in the UK and in Germany likewise.

The brace will also have to fulfill certain quality standards, namely 50% correction to prevent progression, which are not given in 80% of the braces produced here in Germany. So, we as well have to be careful to choose the right place to go, to get our braces done. The situation will probably be worse in the UK.

--

With 37 and 30 degrees it is not absolutely necessary to go to a Schroth clinic to get your pain treated. Schroth may help against the pain, but not in every case. I would start with strength training in a medical fitness studio (or in a general good one) and read this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Dimension ... 133&sr=8-1 to make sure that, while doing your exercises, you don't do any which could worsen your curve, because there are a couple of movements one should better avoid with scoliosis.

Children also cannot be taken to the clinic. It is a full day program and there is no daycare for children.

Otherwise I can very much recommend you this book about scoliosis treatment in general: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3 ... infofor-21
Sandman77
treues Mitglied
treues Mitglied
Diagnose: Idiopathic Scoliosis since birth
Harington Rod fused at T2-T12 in 1986, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Bracing 5 Years
Some Schroth
Beitrag von Sandman77 »

Well Schroth works also later on with pain and corrections regardless of curve size and surgeries...

Plus in clinics here in Germany you can pay extra and bring your child with you but you do need someone to watch over it seeing it cannot attend the exersizes...
- Sandman77 - "Yes, I am Dream"
Kinga Schreiber

Re: schroth method - any details please?

Beitrag von Kinga Schreiber »

caros hat geschrieben:Hello. This is my first time on this website - I hope you can help me.

I am 37 with a cobb angle of 30 degrees. Here in England there seems to be very little to help me so I am reseaching a way forward as I am in considerable pain with my back. I have been reading up on the Schroth method and it does seem to be a possibility for me. I know that there is a clinic recently opened in the Uk but there do seem to be some doubts about it. From my reading it would seem that Germany is the place to be!
So, please could anyone give me any information about the course of treatment. How long does it take (the UK one is 4 weeks or 2x2 weeks), how much does it cost, is there accomodation - and for families - I have a 2yr old boy. And anything else - for example are there any personal experiences out there?

Thanks for your time!
Our daughter has a s-curve and the Schroth clinics were simply not affordable or practical to us because we live a large distance from them. We bought the book instead but it was too complicated for my daughter and my husband and me.

We ended up getting a membership at Spine Harmony because they go through all the Schroth exercises and breathing techniques in their videos. She still uses it and says she feels better after doing the exercises so we are happy with that.

We found them through You Tube since they had a demo-video on there. The link from my favorites is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpWnr-fCifE

We were very overwhelmed with everything at the beginning so probably you are as well but so just take your time and educate yourself and you will be ok. Good luck
Antworten