Feedback request re K. Schroth programme

Here you can ask and talk (in English or German) about scoliosis treatment in Germany.
Antworten
PeterC

Feedback request re K. Schroth programme

Beitrag von PeterC »

Hi. I'm the parent of a 14 year old who has IS and am researching alternatives to surgery for her. I am interested in hearing from English speakers who have used any of the KSchroth clinics in Germany. How practical is it if you dont speak German? What about access to follow up? How successful was it for you?
Thanks
PeterC
Dalia
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Diagnose: 107° und 98° (im Jahr 2003 zu Beginn der Korsetttherapie: 98° und 93°), sehr starre Skoliose, kaum Beschwerden
Therapie: 1983-1994 Korsetts verschiedener OTs, zuletzt bei Rahmouni, dann Korsettabschulung im Jahr 1994, seit 05/2005 bis etwa 2018 Nachtkorsett von Rahmouni, Therapieziel: Halten der Skoliose, seit 2018 keine Therapie mehr

Beitrag von Dalia »

Hi Peter,

I'm not an English speaker.

I think it would be difficult, if your son doesn't understand German. But perhaps it is possible when he has got an assistant for interpreting.

Where do you come from?

Dalia
Sandman77
treues Mitglied
treues Mitglied
Diagnose: Idiopathic Scoliosis since birth
Harington Rod fused at T2-T12 in 1986, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Bracing 5 Years
Some Schroth
Beitrag von Sandman77 »

I find it odd that there are no outside Germany practicing KSchroth. Maybe there are but hard to find?
- Sandman77 - "Yes, I am Dream"
irma
aktives Mitglied
aktives Mitglied

Beitrag von irma »

In case you are from the UK, this might be a useful link :
http://www.scoliosis-support.org/module ... topic=1265
I must admit, however, that I don't know anything more about the author than the information she gives in that forum and on her website.

The Schroth program is a very effective method, the patients are taught individual three-dimensional exercises for their own type of scoliosis or kyphosis (this complexity of the exercises makes it practically impossible to learn them from a book, so it is really essential to find a qualified Schroth therapist).
One important aspect has to be mentioned though: the Schroth program alone will work best on curves of less than 25 degrees Cobb. If a curve goes beyond 25° Cobb, additional treatment with a highly corrrective brace will probably be required (here in Germany we mostly use the Cheneau brace).
Zuletzt geändert von irma am Do, 31.03.2005 - 19:27, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Toni
Profi
Profi
Diagnose: M. Scheuermann Kyphose (urspr. 68°)
M. Baastrup
Therapie: 1 Boston B.O.B.
1 Milwaukee
2 Rahmouni´s
1 TüKO
Und SCHROTHen bis bis die Sprossenwand qualmt und sich die Spiegel krümmen!

Beitrag von Toni »

Dear Peter,

There are many spine patients coming from other countries in Bad Sobernheim and they all learn the Schroth-method. Most of physiotherapists speak English and all German children learn English at school.

I know about scoliotic teens from Chile to Russia, from Arabia to UK who learned the Schroth-method and they did not have communication problems.

All teens with spine problems are a big familiy.

In the Rahmouni brochure you can find an article of an British girl. The Schroth therapy alone is often not strong enough to fight against a severe scoliosis but combined with a highly corrective brace it is a real alternative to surgery.

Therefore I would highly recommend you to come to the Katharina Schroth Hosipital in Bad Sobernheim and - depending on the degree of your son's scoliosis - strengthen the therapy with a highly corrective Rahmouni brace from Stuttgart.

It would be very helpful if you could specify your son's diagnosis (range in COBB degree and rotation in Nash & Moe) and the problems you have. Then whe can give you more concrete advice.

Best regards,
Toni & Silas
Dateianhänge
no operation sporting life2.jpg
no operation sporting life2.jpg (28.58 KiB) 18131 mal betrachtet
no operation sporting life1.jpg
no operation sporting life1.jpg (29.13 KiB) 18131 mal betrachtet
Denkt POSITIV und bleibt NEGATIV!
PeterC

Beitrag von PeterC »

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, and for your interest, it really is a big help. Perhaps if I give more details about my daughters situation you will have further comments?
Kate has a lumbar curve of 42 degrees with a compensating 25 degree thoracic curve. Her hips and shoulders are slightly misaligned but you would never notice she has Scoliosis until she bends. Our consultant from Stanmore Hospital (Mr Stewart Tucker), made it clear at her first appointment 3 weeks ago that surgery is almost inevitable, particularly as she has a long way to go in terms of growth. The decision to put her in a brace was made there and then (we collect it next week), and we go back to see Mr Tucker in 3 months. At that point if the curve has progressed and her upper curve started to twist as well he will recommend surgery.
Having seen the brace when we went for the cast to be done I'm not expecting it to be of much use, other than as a cause of nuisance and distress to her. In comparison to the one I have seen used by the Katharina Schroth programme it appears to be more like a straight jacket, but we will go with it while continuing our search for alternatives to surgery. Kate herself is willing to try anything, though is already pretty fed up with all the hassle and interuption to normal activities. The Schroth programme appears to demand a very high level of personal commitment to be succesful. It must be difficult to be in this programme for 4 weeks at a time for a teenager?
I'm sure many parents in my position have been equally concerned at the lack of any serious alternatives to surgery offered in the UK. The proposed UK Katharina Schroth Centre appears just that at the moment, a proposal.
Perhaps my next step should be to contact the Bad Sobernheim (probably not spelt like that!) Clinic to find out about waiting lists etc.

Thanks for your time

PeterC
The reference to the Katharina Scroth Centre in England is
irma
aktives Mitglied
aktives Mitglied

Beitrag von irma »

Dear Peter,
knowing more details about the condition -a 14-year-old girl with a lumbar curve of 42 degrees- I would strongly advise Kate to do an intensive rehabilitation at the K. Schroth clinic in Bad Sobernheim as soon as possible (the British center might not be well established yet, and you really should not waste time on experiments).

Regarding the brace she is going to wear I'm sorry to say that I am extremely sceptical whether it will be of any help. I have seen many pictures of braces made in Britain, including braces from Stanmore, and they really don't seem to follow the scientifically proven principles that can reduce scoliotic curves. The best they can do is to stop progression, but Kate definitely needs a brace that is highly corrective! Lumbar curves are relatively easy to correct compared to high thoracic curves, and Kate seems to have some more growing to do, so there is the prospect of a real improvement if the brace treatment and the exercise program are started soon!!

I just can't believe that non-surgical scoliosis treatment is so badly neglected in Britain. It really breaks my heart to see teenage girls or boys whose spine is fused from neck to pelvis (well, not quite, but some have really long fusions) for curves that could have been controlled without surgery, preserving all the flexibility of the spine!

Admittedly, only a limited number of the German orthopedists and orthotists are experienced enough for successful conservative scoliosis therapy. You have to know where to go...

So, please, if it's possible for you, do get in touch with the K. Schroth clinic in Bad Sobernheim and with the orthotist Rahmouni in Stuttgart who is known to make very effective braces (though they are hard to wear at first and a few trips to Stuttgart might be necessary until the brace is well fitted). If the treatment is started very soon Kate has a really good chance to avoid surgery!

Best of luck,
Irma
Zuletzt geändert von irma am Fr, 01.04.2005 - 04:05, insgesamt 6-mal geändert.
Fiara
treues Mitglied
treues Mitglied

Beitrag von Fiara »

Hello,

I only want to add a little bit.
It must be difficult to be in this programme for 4 weeks at a time for a teenager?
I already have been in this clinic and I was 14, too. Sure, it's a new situation to be there for weeks without parents or people who you know. And of course when you can't speak German! But everyone finds friends there and almost everyone can speak English. There are often kids from Poland, Russia, .. and of course of the UK.

When I got my brace, I was almost 14. My thoracolumbal curve was 62° and because this forum told me to go to Rahmouni (like irma did now), I got a very good brace which corrects this curve to 20°! A correction of 42°! You see, Kate has a great chance with a brace if she really wants to wear it and if she does the Schroth exercises.

Greets, Maria
egle

to Dalia

Beitrag von egle »

Dalia hat geschrieben:Hi Peter,

I'm not an English speaker.

I think it would be difficult, if your son doesn't understand German. But perhaps it is possible when he has got an assistant for interpreting.

Where do you come from?

Dalia
Hello Dalia,

do you speak lithuanian by any chance ?

Egle
Dalia
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Diagnose: 107° und 98° (im Jahr 2003 zu Beginn der Korsetttherapie: 98° und 93°), sehr starre Skoliose, kaum Beschwerden
Therapie: 1983-1994 Korsetts verschiedener OTs, zuletzt bei Rahmouni, dann Korsettabschulung im Jahr 1994, seit 05/2005 bis etwa 2018 Nachtkorsett von Rahmouni, Therapieziel: Halten der Skoliose, seit 2018 keine Therapie mehr

Beitrag von Dalia »

Sorry, I don't. :shy:
Ich kann dem Leben nicht mehr Tage geben, aber dem Tag mehr Leben. (Bertolt Brecht)
meine Geschichte: Dalia wird Königin (Korsett für eine Oldie-Power-Skoliose)
Antworten