25 Years since my first spine surgery

Here you can ask and talk (in English or German) about scoliosis treatment in Germany.
Antworten
Sandman77
treues Mitglied
treues Mitglied
Diagnose: Idiopathic Scoliosis since birth
Harington Rod fused at T2-T12 in 1986, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Bracing 5 Years
Some Schroth
25 Years since my first spine surgery

Beitrag von Sandman77 »

Hello all,

ive come to realize that on the 5th of November, 2011 it has been 25 years since my first spine surgery. I thought it would be good to post a reflection and share it with you good people on here...

I was born in 1977 with severe Idiopathic Juvenile Scoliosis, as far as I know my largest curve was at 86 just before surgery. It was not peformed in my homeland Norway as they wanted to wait till I had grown much more. Due to the advice of my Grandmother my parents decided to have it done in the Netherlands. There it was told it was barely to late to do anything! It was peformed by Dr. Kruls in Nijmegen. I had 2 weeks of tests before it was performed. It lasted 6 hours. Alot of ribs were cut off and inner organs were moved to the right place, a HALO was fitted. (for traction) I flatlined during this surgery. Since that day I know the Lord allmighty exsists...

When I woke up I laid on my back for 5 weeks and was stretched. I had 10 Pounds attached to my head and 12 Pounds to my legs. I gained at least 7 1/2 centimeter in lenght. My second surgery was the 10th of December, I had an Harington Rod fused at T2-T12. I had to wear a casket for a year and after that 5 years of Bracing. (Boston Brace) I was to do special breathing technique to increase my lung volume. I was told one lung was ruptured and barely active and one was OK.

I never did those breathing techniques or any other excersize. My parents never endorsed or forced me to do them or did know how important they were. At age 15 I was glad the Norwegian doctors told my parents to get rid of the brace. By then my muscles had decreased but I was happy.

At age 22 (1999) I had major pain seemingly coming from my inner left hip. It was bad, going to toilet was extremely painful. It went away by itself after 5 weeks. This pain returned when I was in America and left again by itself. In summer 2000 it returned. This time Diclofenac was give here in Germany and it helped at once. (Scoliosislife was founded in July 2000, helping me to understand more about my Scoliosis) The pain sometimes started to come but a Diclofenac pill killed it at once. Not untill 2006 then those pills did not aid at all. Only an injection did. I found out I had only one liver, one lung and my heart 2 small due to the ribs rotation.

I went to rehab in 2007 for 4 weeks in Bad Salzungen. I learned Schroth Theraphy and got a new Brace. (Kurbin) I was told my life expectancy is low and that my surgeries in 1986 were too soon! (Ive lost 21 Centimer of height due to that) Lung colume measured at 21,5%!

In 2008 I consulted Dr. Halm and Dr. Niemeyer here in Germany. (the finest Scoliosis experts) Halm refused to operate, Niemeyer wanted but both would not guarantee any improvement to my lungs or heart. I refused.

2009 I learned Dr. Kruls were never an Scoliosis expert! Not to mention the Harington treatment was allready in the late 70s found to be lousy! Better operations procedures were known at the time in 1986!

Now in October 2011, Lung volume is at 23,5%, ive no pain. No signs of flatback syndrome.

Conclusion: Surgery should always be last resort to improve of pain. Bracing with Schroth Theraphy is for me the only right way to deal with Scoliosis of any kind at any age. Accompanied by swimming and walking.

I plan a new rehab in 2012 in Bad Salzungen...
- Sandman77 - "Yes, I am Dream"
Silas
Profi
Profi
Therapie: Rahmouni Korsett
Schroth KG

Re: 25 Years since my first spine surgery

Beitrag von Silas »

Hello Sandman,

Thank you for your interesting an affecting report.

I wish you all the best for the future.

Kindest regards,
Silas
"Man kann nicht beweisen, dass Gott nicht existiert. Aber die Wissenschaft macht Gott überflüssig."
(Stephen Hawking)
Sandman77
treues Mitglied
treues Mitglied
Bracing 5 Years
Some Schroth

Beitrag von Sandman77 »

Thanks, Danke. :)
Sandman77
treues Mitglied
treues Mitglied
Bracing 5 Years
Some Schroth

Beitrag von Sandman77 »

26 years now...
Dalia
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Diagnose: 107° und 98° (im Jahr 2003 zu Beginn der Korsetttherapie: 98° und 93°), sehr starre Skoliose, kaum Beschwerden
Therapie: 1983-1994 Korsetts verschiedener OTs, zuletzt bei Rahmouni, dann Korsettabschulung im Jahr 1994, seit 05/2005 bis etwa 2018 Nachtkorsett von Rahmouni, Therapieziel: Halten der Skoliose, seit 2018 keine Therapie mehr

Beitrag von Dalia »

:)

How are you now?
Ich kann dem Leben nicht mehr Tage geben, aber dem Tag mehr Leben. (Bertolt Brecht)
meine Geschichte: Dalia wird Königin (Korsett für eine Oldie-Power-Skoliose)
Sandman77
treues Mitglied
treues Mitglied
Bracing 5 Years
Some Schroth

Beitrag von Sandman77 »

Im fine...
Antworten